Some people do not have an idea of the coverage of their home insurance policy. A lot of homeowners buy on impulse, missing out on a lot of necessary information. Some even end up paying more than what they signed up for, because of additional costs also known as riders.
A homeowner should be able to get a home insurance that would protect all their properties and assets. For a better idea, here are the items usually covered in a home insurance policy:
- Your house’s structure. A home insurance policy includes the both the exterior and interior of your house. If your house gets damaged by lightning, theft, fire, vandalism, tornado, hail and other phenomena, then you can have a claim. The insurance also covers construction and repairs costs.
- Your assets and personal properties. The coverage of a home insurance also covers your assets and personal properties, such as furniture, appliances, clothing and electronic gadgets. If one or more of these items are damaged, then you can count on your home insurance to shoulder the costs needed to have them repaired or replaced.
- Liability coverage. Home insurance policies have liability protection as well. If in case a person is injured while handling, or while inside a house or a property, then the policy holder can tap his insurance to shoulder the costs needed for the medication and hospitalization costs.
On the other hand, it is important to note the items that are not covered by your home insurance policy. Here are some items that might not be included in your home insurance:
- Floods. Even though home insurance policies cover almost all weather phenomena, it does not cover damages caused by floods. However, if you think that you need protection from floods, you can avail of it as a separate additional coverage, or as a rider.
- Luxury items. Even though home insurance policies cover almost all your assets, it does not give protection to overly expensive luxury items, such as jewelries, collections and furs. Some give partial coverage for these items. However, it is best to inquire with your insurance company about their protocols about luxury items.
As long as you have a good idea of the contents of your home insurance policy, then you can be sure that you would be able to get the best service, and the worth of what you pay for every month. Be a wise chooser of insurance, and you will surely have peace of mind about your house and all your properties.