Preparing for winter is best done a few weeks before the season gets underway. Winter preparation checklist includes winter clothes, fireplace, hot chocolate, and one more thing – house repairs.
The cold season usually takes its toll on homes. Hence, it is wise to do some minor renovations ahead of time so as to enjoy a hassle-free winter.
To start with, one should choose the most suitable home insurance policy. The type of insurance plan determines the degree of coverage of the insurance. A good insurance plan shall be enough to cover some important winter repairs.
To avoid unnecessary costs, follow the succeeding tips:
- House should be kept warm during the winter season. Home temperature must not fall below 65 degrees as this would cause the pipes to freeze and eventually result to other problems. This can be achieved by adding weather stripping to windows or setting up storm windows. Also, all gaps must be closed.
- Make sure that the heating system is functioning well. Start using the fireplace. Have your chimney cleaned by a professional.
- Check whether the roof is intact. Loose shingles must be repaired. Gutters must be cleaned and overhanging tree limbs must be removed. Also, it will be extra helpful to put a screen at the top of the fireplace to be free from falling fragments.
- Familiarize yourself with your pipes. As soon as they freeze, water must be turned off. Warming pipes with heating tape is necessary during particularly cold instances.
- Immediately address small structural problems. Seek help from a professional.
- Prevent floods as they are not covered by basic home insurances.
- When away from home, turn off the water and drain the system with the help of a professional.
Have the house checked regularly so that small damages can be promptly addressed.
Investing money on a good home insurance policy definitely has its benefits especially during the winter season.